[mail-vet-discuss] Auth-Results issues #1

J.D. Falk jdfalk at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Apr 21 13:54:21 PDT 2006

On 2006-04-19 14:42, Tony Hansen wrote:

> Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>> Tony Hansen wrote:
>>> My MTA is in one administrative domain: my ISP's. My MUA is in another:
>>> mine. They need standards to communicate information properly.
>>>
>>> IMAP and POP extend across the same set of administrative domains; they
>>> need standards to communicate properly.
>>
>> But aren't you and your ISP both in the same administrative domain in
>> that context, in the same way that in a work environment you and your IT
>> team are in the same administrative domain?
>
> No. I'm not in hotmail's administrative domain, gmail's administrative
> domain, nor yahoo's administrative domain, etc. Yet my MUA can talk with
> pop servers in all of them, and receive messages addressed to me in
> those different administrative domains. Once those messages have been
> transferred to my MUA, they've crossed an administrative domain boundary.

There's also the issue of forwarding -- as one somewhat lame example, it
may be useful to know that a message's DKIM signature was checked as
valid before the message was forwarded (assuming the next hop trusts the
forwarder, which is a different issue.)

--
J.D. Falk, Anti-Spam Product Manager
Yahoo! Communications Platform Team