[mail-vet-discuss] Auth-Results issues #1

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Wed Apr 19 14:42:16 PDT 2006

Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> Tony Hansen wrote:
>> My MTA is in one administrative domain: my ISP's. My MUA is in another:
>> mine. They need standards to communicate information properly.
>>
>> IMAP and POP extend across the same set of administrative domains; they
>> need standards to communicate properly.
>
> But aren't you and your ISP both in the same administrative domain in
> that context, in the same way that in a work environment you and your IT
> team are in the same administrative domain?

No. I'm not in hotmail's administrative domain, gmail's administrative
domain, nor yahoo's administrative domain, etc. Yet my MUA can talk with
pop servers in all of them, and receive messages addressed to me in
those different administrative domains. Once those messages have been
transferred to my MUA, they've crossed an administrative domain boundary.

I see the use of A-R as no different from the use of POP and IMAP.

	Tony Hansen
	tony at att.com