[mail-vet-discuss] Auth-Results issues #1

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Wed Apr 19 13:52:59 PDT 2006

Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> I've finally got time again to take part in this discussion, so here we
> go, top-to-bottom.  Sorry for the mail flood this implies.

Thanks!

> Tony Hansen wrote:
>> There should be an indication somewhere that this header is on the
>> standards track.
>
> It's my understanding that a standards track proposal is only
> appropriate for protocols whose implementation/interpretation will span
> administrative boundaries.  Since that's clearly not true for something
> that is added by a receiver/verifier for consumption by a message
> recipient, the informational track seemed more appropriate.  LMTP was
> cited to me as an example.

LMTP definitely stays within a single administrative domain; it deals
with the communication pieces within a MTA system. However, A-R does not.

My MTA is in one administrative domain: my ISP's. My MUA is in another:
mine. They need standards to communicate information properly.

IMAP and POP extend across the same set of administrative domains; they
need standards to communicate properly.

A-R needs to be on the standards track.

	Tony Hansen
	tony at att.com