"transactional" report type (was Re: [taugh.com-johnl] Re: [feedback-report] New version of the ARF draft)

Chris Drake christopher at pobox.com
Thu May 24 15:38:02 PDT 2007

Hi All,

Since there's probably a few folks unaware - spam report handling is
not automatable:  99% of all spam reports (if you're a legit ISP and
not a spammer :-) are just dumb-users (mostly AOL) hitting the spam
button when they *meant* to hit the trash button beside it.  Of the
last 1000 or so ARF spam reports I've waded through over 12 months,
100.0% of them were legit messages - asking users why they report them
as spam always yields a "Oh - did I? Sorry" response.

If spam reporting is to be made automatic - users who report spam need
to be given more choices, so robots can handle it properly:

 (x) I just want to delete this email
 (x) This email came from my ex
 (x) I don't like what this email says
 (x) This email is an unsolicited bulk advertisement

 etc etc - with a second question:
 (x) Yes - I want to send this email to several administrators, all of
     whom are going to read it and take action to block the sender

It might sound stupid, but loads of AOL folks would no doubt be
mortified if they realized that their personal nudie pics, office
affair emails, business contracts etc are getting broadcast to ISP
admins when they hit "spam" instead of "trash" by mistake - a
*serious* privacy problem.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake